Padakun Pages

Sunday 12 July 2015

CAMINO BOOK ARRIVES

In preparation for my October Camino Portugues, I ordered what looks like the definitive guidebook written by a similarly geezerly walker who appears to live on the Camino. A Pilgrim’s Guide to the Camino Portugues, by John Brierly, is subtitled A Practical and Mystical Manual for the Modern day Pilgrim. The majority of the book, which was updated in 2015, its 6th update, is the usual full-colour maps and diagrams of each of the 23 daily stages of the walk from Lisbon, through Porto (where I’ll start) to the common end-point of all Caminos, Santiago. There are also sections on preparing with clothes and equipment, a brief history, some useful phrases and a short contemplation encouraging walkers to ask “Why am I doing this?”

A Pilgrim's Guide To The Camino Portugues: Lisbon - Porto - Santiago 
Nearly 6 months away from my first steps, this seems like a good question to ask. For starters I am clear on one reason that I do not share with most Santiago walkers - I am not doing it for any Christian reasons. As a Buddhist priest I do feel slightly disingenuous in using a space which is sacred to another religious tradition. Truth be told, if it wasn’t so far, dangerous and expensive, I would prefer a Buddhist pilgrimage.
Nevertheless, its part of my understanding of pilgrimage walking that, apart from the Cathedral at the end-point, there is enormous spiritual value in engaging with the path itself. This is probably my main reason. I anticipate and welcome time to pare down my life to a few necessities and spend the days reflecting on those things that do matter to me. I welcome the time away from the demands of an emotionally-draining and deeply frustrating career.
Finally, but perhaps not least, like so many pilgrims worldwide I am undertaking this to re-position my own life as it draws to its natural conclusion. I am noticing how many of my near-and-dears are fading and dying and it causes me to examine the best use of my own remaining sunrises. Just walking for two weeks is such a fulfillment. And it offers me the time and spaciousness to consider what else matters most in this late stage of my life.

Yours , on the journey,                           
Ray
Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet
Thich Nhat Hahn   
   
               

       
                   
   

           

No comments:

Post a Comment