Padakun Pages

Sunday 2 November 2014

WALKERS AND HUNTERS

 WALKERS AND HUNTERS
I was out on part of the K and P a few days ago and was reminded of the uneasy relationship we pedestrians have with hunters. I was strolling along with my three dogs and enjoying the crisp fall air and sharply blue sky when I heard gunshots in the distance. This is not that unusual as I can frequently hear someone taking care of a groundhog or be aware of some of the duck or turkey areas that are near the trail.
This was different. It was very close, in an area I know is only active in deer season and I could not be certain who was out and what direction they were traveling, and more crucially, where they were aiming. Of course, I turned and headed back to safer territory.
I have no time for debates about the ethics of hunting, the rights of hunters or the whole matter of meat-eating. What I know keenly is that many of the trails I enjoy exist because of those who enjoy that activity and who maintain them year round. In policy circles they call it shared access or mixed-use resourcing. It means that we have to share these trails and learn to get along respectfully. None of us has more rights than others, none of us is more entitled. And we have to remember guns have one purpose - killing.
Anyone who walks has to know we have to remain alert on the trail. It can be for the dangers of either wilderness or civilization. This means watching for ATVs, cyclists, snow bridges, loose dogs, horse plops and collapsed swamp banks. If you want guaranteed safety, I suggest mall-walking.
In the meantime, for the next several weeks, we have to remain alert and cautious.
                           
Yours , on the journey,                           
Ray
Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet
Thich Nhat Hahn 
                      

       
                   
   

           

No comments:

Post a Comment